Monday, November 9, 2009

This Casserole is Actually Good!

In any food storage supply it is necessary to have some canned meat. Unlike My Friend Lauren, I have not reached the level of canning my own, so I have to buy commercially canned meat. Most of the time I buy tuna, chicken, or roast beef, and use them in some of my classic dishes using rice, etc. However, this is a casserole that uses corned beef, just in case you're looking for variety.

Let me preface this recipe by stating that I really DON'T like corned beef. This is actually a dish that I first ate at my mother-in-law's house many years ago when she invited us to dinner. I took the first bite, mostly to be polite. And then another. And then another, until it was all gone. It is actually quite tasty, even if you don't like corned beef! And even better, it gives you another option for greater variety in your food storage. Enjoy!

The Old Coot's Mother's Casserole

1 can corned beef
2 cups macaroni (measured before cooking), cooked and drained
1 cup cubed cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 medium minced onion (or substitute dehydrated onion to your personal taste)
Sage, to taste (about 1-2 teaspoons, depending on how much of a kick you want!)
Crushed potato chip topping (or substitute bread crumbs in a pinch!)

Combine ingredients in casserole dish; top with crushed potato chips. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. (Note: Since I don't believe there's such a thing as too much cheese, I add some grated cheddar cheese to the top over the chips during the last 5 minutes of baking -- just until it's melted.)

No comments:

Post a Comment